We are looking for Advocacy Officer to join our team
Title: Advocacy Officer
Location: Remotely, preferably in Europe
Reporting to: Programs Manager
Position Category: Full-time
Dawlaty programs aim to engage activists, groups and communities in democratic transition
discussions and processes. To achieve this goal, Dawlaty’s programs aim to build the capacity of
activists, groups and organizations on issues such as civic values and democratic concepts,
transitional justice, civil disobedience, community organizing and advocacy. Dawlaty is working
with other civil society organizations to build capacity and joint action on advocacy, community
mobilization and communication for development. The advocacy officer is responsible for the
implementation of projects’ advocacy plans, as well as supporting the programs team with the
implementation of Dawlaty’s programs.
1. Support programs team in developing and implementing advocacy strategies to achieve
program objectives, including formulating messaging, designing campaign materials,
organizing events, engaging relevant stakeholders, etc…
2. Contribute to Leading and supporting any joint advocacy initiatives of civil society
organizations with national and international actors, as well as support local advocacy
3. Support Dawlaty’s other communication/outreach team members to ensure coherent
communication and advocacy messaging by Dawlaty.
4. Coordinate and collaborate with other teams to ensure program results and outcomes are
communicated to relevant audiences, including donors, beneficiaries and partners
5. Write reports for management and for donors
6. The Advocacy Officer will be responsible for organizing advocacy events and
representing Dawlaty when it is needed.
7. The Advocacy Officer will be responsible for preparing/arranging all the logistics for
advocacy campaigns and events.
8. Identify and evaluate the risks associated with programs & advocacy activities and take
appropriate action to control the risks
9. Manage relationships with consultants and experts hired by Dawlaty
10. Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with community-based civil society
organizations, local civil societies and various stakeholders.
11. Manage the sub-grants offered to the partners through the program, ensure an adequate
monitoring of the sub-grant activities, delivery of committed outputs & reports, as well
as following Dawlaty’s policies.
12. Support colleagues in the program and other departments to ensure Dawlaty’s programs
and operations are gender sensitive.
Representation and Coordination
1. Participate in the development and maintenance of working relationships and coordinate
with relevant international and local organizations active in the Syrian context especially
those working on similar programs
2. Represent Dawlaty at relevant meetings and conferences.
Support to Organization:
1. Participate in the overall management of the organization
2. Support the management of the organization including coordinating between Dawlaty
departments, and ensuring all policies and procedures are followed
1. Relevant post-secondary qualifications, preferably in Media , communications and
2. 3-5 years’ experience in project management, including budget management and M&E,
preferably in NGO environment.
3. Experience in the design and implementation of advocacy strategies,and communication
for development and/or community organizing, preferably in relation to NGOs and civil
4. Experience in working with memory work, (transitional) justice, youth, community
organizing and/or advocacy are strongly preferred.
5. Knowledge in the Syrian context & Syrian civil society, also the context of Syrian
refugees and the context of enforced disappearance.
6. Previous project development and design in conflict & post-conflict necessary,
demonstrating working knowledge of the Syrian context (highly desirable).
7. Proven work record related to community-led approaches and organizing.
8. Experience in developing strategies.
9. Experience in research, art, media and communication are strongly preferred.
10. Strong written and oral communication skills.
11. Working knowledge of Arabic and English.
1. Dawlaty is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality,
and culture. Individuals from minority groups, persons with disabilities, women, and
individuals of Syrian nationality are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be
treated with the strictest confidence.
2. Dawlaty does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment,
including sexual harassment, and discrimination. Dawlaty is also committed to
maintaining a safe and secure working environment. All selected candidates will,
therefore, undergo reference and background checks. All selected candidates are
requested to collaborate in providing requested information if needed.
How to apply:
1. Applicants should include the following subject heading in their email
Advocacy Officer and send via email: Hr@dawlaty.org by 31st Dec 2022.
2. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered
3. Only Short-listed applicants will be contacted within a period of 10 days after the
deadline, apologize for not sending messages to the rest of the applicants.
4. Due to Dawlaty’s low-profile activities, shortlisted applicants are required to
provide us with personal security references.