Political Participation & Elections Training Manual Development Consultant
Political Participation & Elections
Training Manual Development Consultant
Terms of Reference
|Application Deadline:||27 June 2022|
|Additional Category:||Political Participation & Gender Equality|
|Type of Contract:||Local Consultant Contract|
|Languages Required:||Arabic (Mother Tongue), English|
|Duration of Initial Contract:||5 months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment:||Deliverable based within a maximum period of 5 months|
Through training, mentoring and follow-up, the consultant will develop a contextualized training manual on Women’s Participation in Elections and Electoral Processes and build the capacity of peer-trainers to be able to provide training to activists and women-led grassroots groups within their communities in different regions of Syria.
Dawlaty started to implement a set of training related to Syrian women’s political education and participation by the beginning of 2018, where a group of female activists was trained on different forms of political participation, how to build effective advocacy campaigns and community initiatives; and how to convey the training to their peers, in order to enable women to the mechanisms of political participation, advocating for its causes and helping it to participate actively in Syrian society
Over the coming two years, Dawlaty aims to expand the knowledge and skills for and of women-led grass-root groups and female activists to challenge the traditional power structures and create new models of political engagement, organizing, and leadership. Within a period of two years, our current project aims to equip female activists and women-led grass-root groups with advanced skills, capacities, and knowledge on intersectional feminist perspectives to enable Syrian women’s abilities to participate in decision-making at all levels and inaugurate social change.
Dawlaty offers the participating women-led groups the support and resources, to amplify Syrian feminist voices widely on community-basis, and ensure that these voices are not merely heard in mainstream development processes; but increasingly encourage them to challenge the traditional structures of power and authority, and practice feminist leadership, political participation, and community organizing in underprivileged contexts in Syria.
Dawlaty seeks a consultant to develop a training manual on “Women’s Participation in Elections and Electoral Processes’ in the context of Syria and the region or even other post-conflict countries. The consultant should conduct consultation sessions with the peer-trainers, for the consultant to involve on-the-ground expertise from across diverse communities, in developing the manual and supporting materials.
The consultant will also provide online training on the developed training manual and materials for a group of peer-trainers in different Syrian regions, the consultant shall also provide support to the trainers while providing their training as needed. The consultant must ensure that the training manual developed takes its outset in interactive and inclusive methods and that the TOT-training alike is interactive.
– Developing a training manual on women’s participation in elections and the process in the context of Syria and the region or even other post-conflict countries.
– Providing online TOT-training for a group of female trainers within the different regions of Syria to be trained later for young women (primarily) and men within their different communities across Syria.
– Providing support and guidance to female peer-trainers, while designing their own training content as per their contextualized needs.
– Holding focus group sessions with the peer trainers to involve them in the process of developing the training manual to serve the training manual to benefit from the trainers’ experiences and expertise.
– Submitting a report after the completion of the online TOT-training (the report should include an analysis of the results of the pre and post questionnaires and the extent to which the trainers are able to provide similar training later
– The consultant should coordinate with ‘Dawlaty’s researcher’, commissioned to develop an in-depth analysis of the limits and opportunities ‘Women’s political participation in Elections & Electoral Processes’, in order to ensure an enriched manual considering alternative ways of participation and thinking of electoral processes.
– Submit a work plan two weeks after signing the contract.
– Involve female trainers in developing the training manual by holding focused sessions with them.
– Submit a draft of the training manual two months after signing the contract and make the amendments according to the suggestions received from the Dawlaty team.
– Delivery of the training manual in its final form after two weeks of work on the amendments and suggestions received.
– The TOT-training that will be conducted for young female trainers will be after the delivery of the training manual in its final form, i.e., estimated, within the month of October.
– ‘Training report’ summarizing the process and evaluation of participant’s engagement, to be delivered one month at most after the end of the Online TOT-training.
● Individuals or a team of experts are encouraged to apply.
● We encourage those who have extensive experience and knowledge of the Syrian constitution and the electoral law, and who hold the ability to explore them from a gender-sensitive approach. An academic degree in Political Science, Law or other relevant major related to the assignment is an asset.
● A minimum of 5 years of experience in the field of training, including experience in preparing and developing training packages and training manuals, including support and guidance on interpreting the content of the training manual, and contextualizing concepts according to trainees’ environment.
● Experience working in conflict-sensitive settings, particularly with CBOs, vulnerable groups, and cross conflict contexts.
● Knowledge of, and experience working in the Syrian context required, as well as knowledge of and experience working on political empowerment in the MENA-Region as a whole is an asset.
● Excellent communication and facilitation skills.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills in Arabic.
From 1/8/2022 until 31/12/2022
Expected working days:
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by sending
● CV, including links to previous experience in the field of elections and preparing training manuals.
● 2-page proposal maximum- outline approach, methodology, and plan
Applicants should include the following subject heading in their email communication “Application: Political Participation Elections Consultant”. Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted;
Monday,27 June 2022
Dawlaty is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and work needs.